Monday, September 15, 2008

Learn not to burn

Collected by Valleywag at 18th & Mission:




I have to admit, I LOL'd. A few years ago, there was a similar tag I saw in the Panhandle, with the Man logo and "Welcome Home" on the top and underneath, in much smaller type, "LAME-O."

Ahh, Burning Man, the annual ritual in the Nevada desert that divides us all into two groups: those who go to Burning Man and those who love to talk about how retarded it is. Can there be no detente?

True confession: I went, a few years ago. If you haven't been, it's pretty much exactly what you think. It's very dusty and there are a lot of people on drugs and people act weird and introduce themselves by "Woodchuck" or "Spacegirl" and there is very loud techno music all the time, 24 hours a day, everywhere.

But you know what? Once you get past the inherent goofiness and just resign yourself to it, it's not bad at all. There's some cool art to see, and people from all over the place, and everyone's into just hanging out, and there are none of the Mission vs. Marina social barriers we have to deal with back here because everyone's pretty much dressed the same, which is in neon fake fur and goggles, and it's not immediately apparent whether the person you're talking to would be someone you'd talk to back in the real world or not.

That being the case, once was enough, for me, anyway. I'm not into deprivation.

I realize I'm like 2 weeks late with this post, but the sidewalk graffiti just got me thinking about it.

No comments: