Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

So that happened.

New Year's Eve, about 8 pm, I'm waiting for the J Church. And waiting. And waiting. 4 trains go by in the opposite direction. Almost 40 minutes later, a J pulls up. It's packed to the gills. Somewhere in the middle of the train, a big group of kids is screaming and jumping up and down. I can see them passing around a bottle of Jager and a 20-ounce Diet Coke to chase it with. Ugh.

So the party at The Sister's place turned out to be a lot of fun, but for some reason, I just wasn't in the right party spirit. Super Hot Irish Girlfriend didn't feel good and had to be left at home. At the party, there was lots of good food and wine and beer, and the company was great, but I was just tired or something. Anyway, I stayed for the countdown and champagne and then, miraculously, found a cab at Church & Duboce to take me home.

Speaking of champagne, that's one of those things where the difference between the low end of the spectrum and the high end is so vast that it's like two separate beverages. If all you know is Korbel, when you have something really good, like J Vintage Brut, it's kind of a surprise and a revelation.

Yesterday SHIG and I went to Target and bought a new HD TV. Word to the wise: New Year's Day is a very good day to go to Target. It wasn't crowded at all.

So everybody's saying how glad they are that 2008 is over and they hope 2009 is a better year and whatever, but I gotta say, 2008 was pretty good, as far as I'm concerned. I got engaged, I still have a job (for now, anyway), we elected a President I'm kind of excited about, and Vanderbilt won a bowl game for the first time since 1955. I know we're in a Global Economic Crisis and all, but hey, I'm trying to brightside this thing.

No comments: