Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Controversy swirls around Time's Person of the Year 2010 choice.

So yeah, Mark Zuckerberg is Time's Person of the Year.

(Does this photo seem oddly stretched or something? I stole it from the WSJ b/c that's the first one that popped up on Google News. Anyway.)

Makes sense, I guess. It really did seem like 2010 was the year where Facebook went from just a social networking site to Utter and Total Ubiquity. 2010 was the year your Mom joined Facebook and started posting stupid shit 24/7, right?

(As I have mentioned many times before, maybe to the point of annoyance and/or self-aggrandizement, I am one of 2 (or maybe 3) people I know who does not have a Facebook account. The reasons are still chiefly the same and may be somewhat unique to my personality but that's neither here nor there, plus at this point it's almost too late to join. Now it just seems lame. Like you're the last person who shows up at a party and goes "OK, now we can get started!" I do like the stalking aspects of FB, but based on looking at other people use it, I would quickly get way way way too annoyed to enjoy it.)

ANYWAY, one "Scott Simon" from NPR does not at all agree with Time's choice!!!!!!!


LOLz. This is the dumbest shit I've read all day. The Chilean miners, Scott Simon? Really?? I barely remember that the Chilean Miner thing happened today. Imagine people reviewing the list of POTYs in 10 years and going "Who the fuck are the Chilean Miners? Did they like discover cold fusion underground or something? What the fuck?"

Honestly, Scott Simon, I'm glad you're not picking the POTY or in 1987 Baby Jessica would have been the Person of the Year instead of Mikhail Gorbachev.

(Incidentally, we totally need to get together and have a screening of "Everybody's Baby: The Rescue of Jessica McClure," starring Beau Bridges and featuring, oddly, Will Oldham. Yes, that Will Oldham. Bonnie Prince Billy. WTF.)

Where was I. I get lost. Oh, right, Scott Simon. Listen, Scott, the way Facebook is going eventually it's going to be the Ur-Application and I will eventually have to get a FB account myself or I will cease to exist. You probably won't be allowed to have a job or buy vicodin online from a Russian website without a FB account, so it'll be a necessity. So Zuckerberg's probably a rational choice.

The Chilean Miners will be the subject of a Where Are They Now special on TLC in 10 years.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or is the annual "Person of the Year" announcement the only time anyone even talks about Time magazine? I think they have to keep this tradition going just to remind the world they still exist.

The miners would be a good choice for having survived 69 days without Facebook--duh. Actually, if you hold out on that Facebook profile for another year, you might make the cover in 2011.

Totally with you on the photo, which seems to have erased Zuckerberg's nose.

Dusty Modern said...

Zuckerberg's just a weird looking dude. I was saying to Jess the other day that even though he's a flinny (flabby but skinny) geek, the thickness of his neck makes him look like a Div. III quarterback.

Tamagosan said...

Celebrity Death Match: Mark and Jessica in the Chilean mine. Obvs, Jessica has the advantage because of her well experience, but Zucky would have better status updates.

Btw, YAY for not having a fb account. That makes two people I "know". I do, however, know a 26-y-o w/o a cell phone... Top that? :-)

Civic Center said...

I work in computer graphics but have no cell phone and no Facebook account and am wondering how much longer I can get away with it.

And of course it was Mr. Assange who should have been MOTY, but establishment journalism isn't too happy with him right now, as you may have noticed.