Friday, July 8, 2011

This short anecdote is illustrative of the way The Wife thinks

We were recently walking near Union Square, by where all the hotels are, and passed by the back door/loading area for some hotel, and there were 4 or 5 guys loading a series of Igloo-type coolers into a car. They were all wearing like hotel uniforms or something.

She asked me what I thought was in them and I said I had no idea.

She said she thought it was probably organs stolen from hotel guests who are now lying in their bathtubs packed in ice, still sedated, and the organs in the coolers were being loaded for transport to wealthy foreigners who bought them.

Could be.

Have a great weekend.

(P.S. You know what one of the hazards is with following ballplayers on Twitter? You find out that they have opinions that differ from your own and then you don't like them as much, even when they play for a team you like. Just today Jeremy Affeldt, a relief pitcher for the Giants who I basically liked despite his ridiculous chin beard thing, retweeted Rick Warren saying something about "Planned Parenthood's Scandal" with a link to some anti-choice group's website. Oh great. Now every time Jeremy Affeldt pitches I'm going to think about how he's all anti-Planned Parenthood, which basically means that you're anti-health care for poor and middle-class women, who might not get it any other way. I'm sure Jeremy Affeldt's wife can afford all the top-notch healthcare she wants, but a lot of people can't.)

(True story, when I was younger and poorer, my ex got her health care through Planned Parenthood and I don't know how we would have afforded it otherwise. So all you people trying to defund Planned Parenthood, go fuck yourself. God, that makes me angry.)

9 comments:

TK said...

NOW I CAN REALIZE MY DREAM OF WORKING IN KARACHI. They love Americans there, right?

Mel said...

It's unfortunate that people can't get past their own religious stick-up-ass close mindedness, to realize that PP, only does a small percentage of abortions, that pales in comparison to all the good it does.
you rock man.

GG said...

I hope Rick Warren's link was expressing outrage about this: http://literallyunbelievable.org/post/6283480433/muslims-love-this

P.S. Hyderabad is lovely this time of year.

Anonymous said...

Now I think Jeremy Affeldt is a dick, too.

I used Planned Parenthood for my health care needs throughout my 20s because I worked at crappy, low-paying writing gigs with no health care. I hardly ever got abortions there. GAWD!

Montana Wildhack said...

Planned Parenthood helped me not get pregnant until I was good and married and ready, and for that I am eternally grateful to them.

Civic Center said...

Please tell your wife that I also saw "Dirty Pretty Things," that dark British movie by Stephen Frears where cut-rate organ transplants were happening in a posh London hotel, and I would have thought exactly the same thing.

And I wish you hadn't told us about Affeldt. Now I'm going to have to root against the asshole and unfortunately he's been pretty solid this year. Plus, he's cute, even with the weird chin thing.

Tamagosan said...

I've always wondered how a whole bathtub could be packed with ice. I mean, they have those machines, but that's a lot of trips.

As for sports players being real people with sometimes detestable opinions (and in this case, pretty much a deal-breaker for me and now I have to not clap for him on the mound and I wish I could unread that thanks a lot), I found it's better to only follow those on Twitter who are very predictable. And cute. Like Sandoval and B-Dubs...

Lila Gustafsson said...

I think you will find loads more reasons to love or hate them if you are dialed in to Showtime!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFW-y-v7msc

LB said...

I gave a very small donation to PP in Texas earlier this year. Apparently that's all it took to become a member and I suddenly started receiving a lot of well-marked PP mail. I wondered if I should be concerned with it showing up to my apartment and if my mailman was judging me.